Stewart Hearn London Glassworks is a glassmaking studio specialising in hand-made and bespoke handblown glass. The studio is run by master glassmaker Stewart Hearn, a highly respected and award winning craftsman and designer.
He has established a professional practice of thirty years, developed during his experience of working with some of Britain’s most well known glassmakers. He is sole owner of London Glassworks.
All aspects of Stewart’s work demand high standards of technical skill and design – where traditional skills interpret contemporary visions.
In his personal unique work, he is always pushing his craft and skills harder and higher with every piece he makes. It is his passion to always make the next piece better than the last … not forgetting the integrity of the design of the pieces and their composition, he is simultaneously dealing with the heat versus the weight of the glass on the iron. Creating his pieces involves speed of thought in making and creative decision, being at one with the material, and using his skills and knowledge gained over his 30 years of dedication to the craft.
The other side to his business is contract and restoration work (which is very demanding of accurate tolerances), where he makes work for other people, some of whom have been clients for over 18 years. Many of the pieces he makes are then matched up to metalwork. Everything conforms to Stewart’s design, production and business professional standard, something that was acknowledged amongst UK makers when he was awarded the Balvenie Master of Craft 2011, Glass and Ceramics category.
London Glassworks is also able to act as a consultant for associated skills, knowledge and individuals pertinent to glass manufacture both as a production and bespoke commissioning service.
A unique range of skills is readily available:
• prototyping and design development for product and interior designers
• creative translation for artists
• job specific sourcing and small batch production tailored for restorers, retailers, manufacturers and engineers
• free blown and mould blown option
Stewart Hearn can be found at the Crafts Council’s Index of Selected Makers
Stewart Hearn Curriculum Vitae
- South Shields, Tyne & Wear, England
- Sunderland Polytechnic, B.A.(Hons) 3D Design in Glass & Ceramics. Occasional Glassmakers assistant to Charlie Meaker, Jim Griffiths and Rachael Woodman & Neil Wilkin
- Assistant to David Kaplan & Annica Sandstrom, Lindean Mill Glass, Scotland
- Glassmaker and workshop manager at Glassworks (London) Ltd, with Simon Moore, Catherine Hough & Steven Newell
- Freelance Glassmaker
- Glassmaker (Summer) – Baltic Sea Glass, Bornholm, Denmark for Pete Hunner & Maibritt Jonsson
- Part – time Lecturer (Hot Glass) – Buckingham College of Higher Education
- Set up ‘First Glass Partnership’ with Bob Crooks, Clapham, London
- Accepted for Crafts Council Index of Selected Makers
- Designer for Dansk International, USA
- Set up ‘London Glassworks’, partnership with Paul Devlin, Walthamstow, London
- Continues ‘London Glassworks’ as Sole Trader, Walthamstow, London
2012 to present:
- Builds bespoke studio, ‘Stewart Hearn – London Glassworks’, Chatteris, Cambridgeshire